NSP:208 Western Australia Episode 1 | Aussie Reels, the Bali Mask +++ | Barry Paxman
Manage episode 346516708 series 1454795
Today's interview is with Barry Paxman! The legend himself, the creator of Aussie Reels, he's been spearfishing for 60 years and has some epic stories to share from his time out in the water. From some scary shark stories to the thrill of hunting Wahoo and even the story behind his iconic mask, this will be a good listen! This interview is stuffed full of Noob Spearo community questions, get valuable knowledge and wisdom from a spearo that's been at it for 6 decades and still going strong!Important times:
- 00:13 Intro
- 06:40 Welcome Barry! You've been spearing for 65 years!
- 08:00 Diving in dirty water and dealing with shark attacks, first aid and shark populations
- 17:40 Noob Spearo community questions: how do you deal with buck fever?
- 21:00 How do you get back in the water after a forced break?
- 23:30 Your iconic mask!
- 26:35 What's the biggest change you've seen in spearing?
- 29:25 You have a particular love for hunting Wahoo
- 37:35 Tell us the story of your Aussie Reels
- 43:30 What gear did you start out with?
- 47:30 Weight belts
- 49:00 Tangled in shooting line
- 50:25 How do you subdue a big fish?
- 52:50 Trigger discipline and rubber band choice
- 56:40 Muzzle wrap
- 57:50 Belt reels
- 01:00:55 What do you do when you get to the end of your reel line?
- 01:02:40 Shooting a Marlin
- 01:04:30 What is your favourite piece of gear and what all is in your dive bag?
- 01:06:40 Do you use a cray bag like a SeaSac? Tell us about your crayfish species
- 01:09:00 How do you cook your crays?
- 01:12:15 Baldchin Groper and Parrot fish
- 01:14:25 How do you keep the stoke alive for 60 years? What does your dive crew look like?
- 01:16:00 Family spearfishing
- 01:18:45 Spearfishing role models
- 01:21:10 Building a boat
- 01:23:40 WA people like driving long distances, do you like boating long distance too?
- 01:25:25 Scary stories
- 01:35:40 What makes a good dive buddy for you?
- 01:37:20 Spearo Q&A
- 01:42:00 Outro
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out the legendary SeaSac HERE