Ep. 151 - Precedential Decisions from 3/13/2023 - 3/19/2023 (Patel & jurisdiction; Federal Tort Claims Act & unlawful detention; stop-time rule & deficient Orders to Show Cause; overbroad MDMA; standards of review; Nicaraguan asylum)
Manage episode 358426430 series 2857723
Abuzeid v. Mayorkas, No. 21-5002 (D.C. Cir. Mar. 17, 2023)
- Patel; jurisdiction to review APA challenge of USCIS adjustment of status denial
Kong v. U.S., No. 21-1319 (1st Cir. Mar. 15, 2023)
- Federal Tort Claims Act; FTCA; unlawful detention; repatriation agreement; INA § 242(g); habeas; Reno v. American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee; reasonably foreseeable; 8 C.F.R. § 241.13(i)(2); Cambodia
Garcia-Pascual v. Garland, No. 20-2529 (8th Cir. Mar. 14, 2023)
- non-LPR cancellation; hardship; Patel; mixed question of law and fact
USA v. Heard, No. 22-1380 (8th Cir. Mar. 16, 2023)
- MDMA; overbroad controlled substance; Minnesota Rules, pt 6800.4210; isomers; realistic probability test
Gutierrez-Alm v. Garland, No. 17-71012 (9th Cir. Mar. 15, 2023)
- deficient Order to Show Cause; suspension; stop-time rule; withholding, CAT protection; family members of political dissidents; suspected gang members; social distinction; Sandinista; Nicaragua
Umana-Escobar v. Garland, No. 19-70964 (9th Cir. Mar. 17, 2023)
- de novo; questions of law; nexus; administrative closure; family members hiding
Sponsors and friends of the podcast!
Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Immigration, serious injury, and business lawyers serving clients in Florida, California, and all over the world for over 40 years.
"Modern immigration software & case management"
Joorney Business Plans
"Business-critical documents for every stage of your journey"
For 30% off use code: REVJOORNEY30
Want to become a patron?
- About your host
- More episodes
- Case notes
- Top 15 immigration podcast in the U.S.
- Recent criminal-immigration article (p.18)
- Featured in San Diego Voyager
Immigration Review® is a podcast made available for educational purposes only. It does not provide legal advice. Rather, it offers general information and insights from publicly available immigration cases. By accessing and listening to the podcast, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the host. The podcast should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your state.
"Loopster," "Bass Vibes," "Chill Wave," and "Funk Game Loop" Kevin MacLeod - Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0
Support the show