Crypto, Social Good, Bridging the Digital Divide: Deep Dive into the UNICEF CryptoFund, at the intersection of Ethics, Finance, Technology | web3 podcast
Manage episode 377053386 series 2905492
Social Good, Crypto, Bridging the Digital Divide: Deep Dive into the UNICEF CryptoFund, at the intersection of Ethics, Finance, Technology. I am really excited about this episode with Sanna Bedi and Arun Maharajan from the UNICEF Venture Capital Fund and UNICEF CryptoFund that goes deep into how they tackle complex issues at the intersection of finance, ethics, and technology.
- This episode is an excerpt of the full-length episode you can discover in our premium newsletter called Venture Notes (https://venturenotes.co). If you want to become a premium member and enjoy the full experience, grab until Sep 30, 2023 a special offer : 50% off, €45/year instead of €90/year, link to redeem https://upcomingvc.substack.com/300923
The UNICEF Venture Fund was launched in 2016 specifically designed to finance early stage, open source technology that can benefit children. In October 2019, UNICEF launched the CryptoFund, a new financial vehicle allowing UNICEF to receive, hold, and disburse cryptocurrency - a first for the UN. The CryptoFund is a pooled fund of bitcoin and ether and the investments made through the CryptoFund are denominated in crypto. In the context of the UN Venture Fund, cryptocurrency is an additional way for UNICEF to make investments into early-stage startups in emerging and developing economies. The CryptoFund is a prototype fund for UNICEF to explore the use of digital currencies, and what it means to operate in a digitally financed future.
Sanna and Arun discuss reconciling financial returns with the ethical imperative of prioritizing children's well-being and address equitable distribution of technological benefits. The conversation explores promoting open-source solutions, inclusivity for women in tech, and striking a balance between short-term gains and long-term sustainability. Sanna and Arun provide an overview of the UN CryptoFund's alignment with UN goals and its project selection criteria and cover what they understand by successful projects and their impact, geographic focus, cryptocurrency funding, transparency, and the concept of digital public goods. The episode concludes with a glimpse into the future plans of these funds, offering a comprehensive overview of how unique this UN initiative is.
- Balancing financial returns with the ethical imperative for children's well-being.
- Equitable distribution of technological benefits and addressing the digital divide.
- Promotion of open-source solutions and implications for intellectual property.
- Fostering inclusivity and empowerment for women in the tech industry.
- Balancing short-term financial gains with long-term sustainability.
- Geographic focus, cryptocurrency funding, transparency, and future plans of the UN CryptoFund and Venture Capital Fund.
Let's get into the episode right now.
The podcasts Runway Series Originals, AMA VC, Human Factor, No-Code VC / Fit, Venture Talks & Solo-GP Series are produced by UPCOMINGVC® (upcoming.vc), created and hosted by Raphael Grieco (olivecapital.vc / rapha.elgrie.co / raphael-grieco.com).