From a Service Station Garage to Financial Advisory: Insights on Risks, Rewards, and the True Measure of Wealth with Dennis McKeever
Manage episode 376737024 series 3000284
Dennis McKeever has a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from the University of Pittsburgh along with a PhD in physical chemistry from the University of California, Irvine. Dennis retired from Dow Chemical after a thirty year career where he primarily served as a senior manager in Research and Development. However, he also had two business management experiences – first as the manager of the Chemicals business for Latin America and subsequently as the VP for the Polyolefins and Elastomers business unit for Dow North America. After retiring from Dow, he served for six years as the Chairman of the Board for SYM Financial and saw the company through a major strategic redirection and a subsequent leveraged buyout to the current principals. Following SYM, Dennis moved on to a large variety of positions in the biomedical sciences, including angel investing. Dive into the rich tapestry of Dennis McKeever's life - from service station garages in the '50s to boardrooms of major corporations. Through decades of risks, learning, and immense personal growth, Dennis shares the true measure of wealth, the balance of emotions, and the joy of traveling with loved ones. “I learned to be willing to take a risk on people, give them a break, but nurture them as much as you can along the way. Focus on investing in the success of your people.” - Dennis McKeever This week on Executive Decisions:
- Dennis’ first job.
- The importance of getting to know your customers.
- Pursuing a career change.
- The importance of mentors in your career.
- Taking risks and learning from mistakes.
- Transition from executive life to board and consulting role.
- The true measure of wealth.
Our Favorite Quotes:
- "It really doesn't matter how big the business is, the same basic principles of business management and management people are there no matter what the size. Get to know your customers and take good care of them” - Dennis McKeever
- “Pick yourself up and you learn from your mistakes, whether they be people mistakes, or investment mistakes, or the lack of the best of judgment in making a business decision. Learn from those mistakes, keep them in mind as you move forward.” - Dennis McKeever
- “The true measure of a man's wealth is what he has left after you take all of his money away. So, treasure your family, treasure your friends, spend quality time with them. Doing this will be your enduring reward for a successful career, and a successful life. “ - Dennis McKeever
Connect with Dennis McKeever:
- Email Dennis: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect on LinkedIn
About SYM Financial and Executive Decisions Podcast
Executive Decisions is a show for business leaders. In each episode, host and financial advisor Sarah Delahanty sits down with executives and local experts who serve them. Together, they tackle some of the harder questions that business leaders face today. From inspiring creativity in the workplace, to managing company politics, to making the best choices with executive compensation, taxes, and lifestyle — our show delivers stories and lessons learned across many industries and lifetimes.
Email Sarah at email@example.com with questions, comments, and to schedule a one-on-one conversation.
And, if you enjoy the show, please leave a review to help others discover the podcast.
Disclosure: Certain links above are to third-party sites and are not affiliated with SYM Financial Corporation (“SYM”). SYM is an independent investment adviser registered under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, as amended. Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training. More information about SYM including our investment strategies, fees and objectives can be found in our ADV Part 2, which is available upon request.