Manage episode 364881354 series 3321737
In this episode, we continue to consider what I would tell myself about preaching and pastoring if I could talk to my younger self. We will consider numbers 30-60.
30. You will be misunderstood, maligned, manipulated, and misjudged.
31. Learn to forgive others without delay.
32. Learn how to apologize quickly and simply without rationalizing or justifying.
33. Some people will never accept you as their pastor.
34. Learn how to help your wife feel good about what you are doing and to find her role in your ministry.
35. Learn how to work with the elder and/or deacons.
36. Find a mentor.
37. You are not a professional; you are a pastor.
38. Understand your strengths and weaknesses.
39. Identify and use your spiritual gifts.
40. Make seeking the glory of God in your ministry the top priority.
41. Learn how to preach without imitating the last good preacher you heard.
42. Learn how to counsel the troubled.
43. Master the art of asking penetrating questions that will open someone’s heart.
44. Learn how to take criticism without losing your confidence or cool.
45. Learn how to respond to troublemakers the way Jesus would.
46. Learn how to choose staff members wisely.
47. Learn to be prepared for temptation ahead of time.
48. Learn to delegate some duties to church members so you can give more attention to your priorities as pastor.
49. Don’t try to do everything by yourself. This will overburden you and prevent others from participating in the church’s work.
50. Take every second of vacation the church gives you.
51. You are pastoring a parade.
52. The people who demand the most often serve the least.
53. Always faithfully preach the Word.
54. Learn to preach scripture-based expository sermons.
55. Learn to preach and go home.
56. Never preach for the altar call alone.
57. Never preach for the applause of men,
58. Preach for the glory of God.
59. Always be Gospel-centered in your preaching.
60. Never waste a congregation’s time by preaching foolishness.
Be sure to subscribe to this podcast. Please leave us a review, and point your friends to this podcast.
You can contact me, Alan Carr, at email@example.com.
Our website is: https://preachingmatters.buzzsprout.com/
The podcast is a ministry of Dr. Alan Carr and The Sermon Notebook (http://www.sermonnotebook.org)
If you would like some Preaching Matters Podcast merch, you can support the show while advertising for the show.
Podcast T-Shirt: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1477329809/podcast-logo-preacher-gift-sermon-notes?click_key=10bfd3485c9c310cd30c1ea506644847488583b2%3A1477329809&click_sum=c33942ee&external=1&rec_type=ss&ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-1&frs=1
Podcast Mug: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1468678138/coffee-mug-the-preaching-matters-podcast?click_key=372978b5d3b54393df102deea8e8e4a635954690%3A1468678138&click_sum=7538cce4&external=1&rec_type=ss&ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-8&frs=1