The future of React
Manage episode 358241895 series 1391411
Dan Abramov & Joe Savona from the React Team join Jerod & Nick for a wide-ranging discussion about React’s place in the frontend ecosystem. We cover everything from React competing with React, their responses to SPA fatigue and recent criticisms, to Server Components and the future of the framework.
Changelog++ members save 2 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Changelog++ – You love our content and you want to take it to the next level by showing your support. We’ll take you closer to the metal with extended episodes, make the ads disappear, and increment your audio quality with higher bitrate mp3s. Let’s do this!
- KBall Growth – A four step process that will set you up for success by helping you achieve clarity, learn to leverage your unique strengths, and develop a clear path to success. Get started today.
- Dan Abramov – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Joe Savona – Twitter, GitHub
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Nick Nisi – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- React server componenets intro video
- React server componenets demo app
- React server componenets RFC
- Try out React server componenets with Next.js’s app router
- React’s blog to get updates
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - It's party time, y'all
(01:03) - Welcoming Joe & Dan
(03:01) - To what do we bestow this honor?
(08:02) - React competing with React
(12:13) - Reacting to recent criticisms
(19:49) - There's no silver bullet
(21:28) - Sponsor: Changelog++
(22:22) - React Server Components (RSC)
(29:56) - The scope of RSC
(35:02) - How to get started with RSC
(37:30) - Grappling with RSC terminology
(41:01) - RSC in production at Meta
(47:43) - Sponsor: KBall Growth
(48:25) - RSC as the skeleton
(53:18) - The easiest way to think about it
(55:34) - Resources for learning RSC
(1:00:21) - Why Dan doesn't like TypeScript
(1:01:56) - Wrapping up
(1:02:40) - Next up on the pod