Wellness: Rebranded - Intuitive eating, diet culture, food relationship, weight training, food freedom
Ep48-Breaking the Silence: Talking About Suicide and Saving Lives with Lauren Jenkins
Manage episode 376813738 series 3409414
September is National Suicide Prevention Month. Today’s episode is our contribution to raising awareness and opening the conversation on one of the most pressing concerns in our society today: Suicide.
Mis-information and stigma are both reasons why suicide is still very much a conversation kept behind closed doors. It is OK to talk about suicide and it is an effective way to prevent it. Maria’s conversation with Lauren Jenkins, a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, includes both anecdotal examples and research regarding mental health resources, warning signs of suicide, and how we can support others who are experiencing suicidal thoughts. These two licensed mental health professionals stress the importance of breaking the taboo around the topic of suicide, and the positive impact when holding space for others.
If you have children, being aware of your youth’s mental health struggles is important, too, considering the rise of teenage suicide rates today.
Your life matters and it is worth living! In this episode, you’ll be encouraged to start asking others about suicide and reach out for help if you are struggling. You are not alone!
Highlights of their discussion include:
- Does discussing suicide increase the risk for it to happen?
- Recognizing warning signs about suicide
- Productive ways to open the conversation with others
- Some ways to respond if someone shares about suicidal thoughts
- Words of wisdom and comfort to those who have lost a loved-one to suicide…
Most people don’t want to die, they want to stop living with the pain…so opening the conversation gives them the hope that you are a lifeline!
- Maria Winters
Awareness is the first step to sustainable health and liberation.
- Lauren Jenkins
What was YOUR takeaway? Share it on socials and don’t forget to tag us so we can share it too!
Important National suicide prevention resources:
- 988 - for 24/7 professional help
- 911 - National emergency number (mention that it is suicide-related)
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Video mentioned by Lauren on how to respond when someone states they are not doing well - The Awkward Conversation
Reach out to Lauren Jenkins, LCPC:
- Her website - HopeIgnitedTraining
- On Instagram - @thejourney2well
- Download Lauren’s self-care kit here: https://thejourney2well.com/the-my-self-care-toolkit/
Also, if you found this episode helpful, we’d really appreciate a 5-star rating and review on Apple podcasts so that others may find our show and discover a new way to rebrand wellness!
Let’s connect and keep the conversation going!
- Tara De Leon, Master Personal Trainer
- Maria Winters, LCPC, NCC
- Elizabeth Harris, MS, RDN, LDN
FB: Health and Healing with Intuitive Eating community https://www.facebook.com/groups/nutritioncoachingwithRDNElizabeth
Freebie: 5-day mini-course, How to Break Up With Dieting For Good: https://elizabethharrisnutrition.com/how-to-break-up-with-dieting-for-good